Well, we've made it through our first winter in the new building at 44 Lost River Rd. Business was good and we were all happier in the bright, open space! Thanks to all of you who've come to check out the new space and we look forward to welcoming the rest! But now we're experiencing the beginning of Spring and everyone is asking about what's happening here!
- It's still winter up highway 20 with a 90 inch base depth and good settled powder available to those skiers with a snowmobile or folks going out with North Cascades Mountain Guides.
- Highway 20 is closed at the Early Winters Campground about 2 miles west of Mazama. Rumor has it the DOT will begin clearing the North Cascades Highway beginning March 23. That is obviously not set in stone yet but folks with sleds parked at the end of the road should take notice!
- For skiers without a sled, your options are very limited until the DOT clears the highway. Some folks have been skiing up Sandy Butte behind the Freestone Inn and report decent snow on the upper 1000'. Otherwise you would be looking at a 7+ mile approach before you'd begin climbing for turns. I believe Highway 20 will be open to Silverstar gate by March 25 for those wanting to ski Silverstar.
- Nordic trails are still being groomed throughout the entire 200km of the Methow Trails system. There are some thin spots here and there and some debris on the snow in heavily treed areas but we're still getting some good nordic skiing.
- Fat biking on snow is almost done with a lot of melting happening around Pearrygin Lake State Park and Lloyd Ranch. I'd give it another week before it's showing dirt.
- Folks looking to "hike" instead of ski will have few options. Lewis Butte just northwest of Winthrop is mostly melted out and Mill Hill on the north side of Twisp is melted too.
- Climbers will find snow at the base of Fun Rock but the rock itself is dry and climbable. Fly Boys and Prime Rib would have a snowy approach and may have some seeping but are climbable. You would need to rap the route since there is no access to the top as long as the snow holds.
- We are selling off a couple pairs of AT rental skis for those looking at Spring deals. We have a DPS Wailer 112 Tour 1 package with bindings and skins for $999 and a Voile SuperCharger package with bindings and skins for $899. We also have some skis and boots on sale so stop by the new shop to take a look.
Please let us know if you get out and about and have any updates for us to share and thanks for supporting local businesses like the Goat's Beard Mountain Supplies!
Leave a comment