May 2017 in the Methow Conditions Update
Spring has been slow to arrive in Mazama but the forecast is calling for high pressure and warm sunshine next week. Here is the latest:
- Highway 20 is closed 7 miles west of Mazama at the Silverstar Gate. Crews have made it to within 2 miles of WA Pass and are predicting they will open the highway for Memorial Day weekend.
- Road bikers will have access to the highway beyond the gate Friday-Sunday but the DOT is requesting people stay out while they are working.
- Backcountry skiers can easily access Silverstar from the gate or will need to ride up the highway with their equipment. We have not seen a true spring consolidation as of the end of April so expect crusts and punchy snow until we see a proper melt-freeze cycle.
- Climbers have dry conditions at Fun Rock, the Matrix, Goat Wall, Europa, and the Chewuch crags. There is no easy access to the alpine climbing on WA Pass while the highway is closed.
- Hikers are limited to south aspects and lower elevations. Good options include Spokane Gulch in Mazama, Driveway Butte, West Fork Methow, Pipestone Canyon, Sun Mountain, Patterson Mountain, etc...
- Roads are still closed to Goat Peak and Hart's Pass.
- Mountain Bikers have good conditions at Lewis Butte/Riser Lake, Sun Mountain, the nordic trails around Mazama and lower sections of Virginia Ridge. Buck Mountain and Rendezvous Basin still have snow but may be ready in the next couple weeks.
- We are doing a La Sportiva running shoe Demo with Cascade Endurance. Check out the fleet on Friday evening May 5 and try them out on a group run 9am Sunday May 7 at the Goat's Beard
As always, give us a call if you have questions or updates for us. We hope to see lots of you for the Sunflower Relay May 6!
Leave a comment