Silverstar Glacier May 3 2018
Conditions Update for May, 2018 in the Methow Valley
- Highway 20 is closed at Silverstar Gate 7 miles west of Mazama. However, rumor has it that WSDOT may open WA Pass Friday May 11. Of course, this means there is far too much snow for Cutthroat, Blue Lake, Maple Pass, etc...
- Hart's Pass Rd is plowed and clear of snow approximately 1/2 mile past Cache Creek. There is far too much snow for any hiker to head that direction but skiers can sled or skin the road to the pass and find good skiing conditions.
- Skiers can access Sliverstar Glacier via Silverstar Creek while the highway is closed. The first 1000' above the road is a mix of snow, dirt, and logs which makes for challenging skinning and harrowing skiing. The skiing up high is in great spring condition. Until Hwy 20 is opened, you are limited for access to snow.
- Goat Peak Rd is still snow covered well before the turn up to Goat Peak. It may be possible to drive to the top of Prime Rib by May 11 if the weather stays warm.
- Great hiking and flowers can be found on Spokane Gulch, Cedar Creek, Driveway Butte, Patterson Mtn, Pipestone Canyon, and Lewis Butte.
- Mountain bikers will find dry conditions along the nordic trails and at Virginia Ridge. Rendevous Basin and Buck Mountain, and the upper Sun Mountain trails have some wet spots and patches of snow but are rideable.
- Climbers have good dry conditions at Fun Rock, The Matrix, the Chewuch Crags, and Goat Wall although Restless Natives on the Goat Wall will remain wet until June. Prospector has dry conditions on the left half but the right side is dripping.
- Flyboys, the new Burdo/Daniels 18 pitch 5.9+ sport route on the Goat Wall is in great condition. You have to rap the route to get off due to snow on the Goat Peak Rd. We have the new Burdo/Daniels miniguide online here or in the shop - it has everything you need to know to climb this new classic!
We have received most of our spring clothing, shoes, and gear. Give us a call or stop by to see the latest from the outdoor manufacturers! A couple highlights include the Black Diamond ATC Pilot, the Edelrid Bulletproof biners, and the Altra Timp running shoes!
Leave a comment