Conditions update for upper Methow Valley June 3, 2019
First, let me answer everyone's question before it's even asked: The new Goat's Beard building is getting close to being finished. It won't be much bigger than our current space but it will all be on one level and Rick LeDuc has created a beautiful, rustic looking space with reclaimed beams, corrugated metal, and barn board. However, the entire Mazama Store/Goat's Beard property requires a new septic system that will be installed just west of our new building. Until that work is finished, we will not be moving into the new space. My best guess at this point is that we won't move in until the fall. We're very excited for the new space but are trying to be patient!
OK, now that we've got that out of the way, here's what's going on around here:
- Goat Peak Lookout is accessible with minimal snow to cross. Beautiful flowers abound!
- Hart's Pass can be reached via car but there is still snow on the road to Slate Peak above the Guard Station. The PCT still has snow but it won't be long before it has melted.
- Cutthroat Trail is mostly clear of snow to the Lake but you will encounter deep snow hiking to Cutthroat Pass.
- Blue Lake trail is mostly snow covered and we'd recommend snowshoes.
- Maple Pass loop trail is snow covered above Lake Ann. We wouldn't recommend this loop yet but for those adventurous hikers, bring poles, snowshoes, microspikes, and a sense of direction for where the trail is covered in snow.
- Skiing is pretty limited now but folks are still getting out around WA Pass and on the north side of Slate Peak above Hart's Pass and on the Silverstar Glacier.
- Alpine climbing on WA Pass is going strong. All routes are ready for climbing but we recommend an ice axe and/or crampons for the Becky Gully or other steeper approaches.
- All of the Goat Wall routes including Flyboys and Prime Rib are in great condition and you can drive to the top to avoid rapelling. Restless Natives is still seeping water. Fun Rock, Matrix, Prospector, Europa, and Gate Creek are good to go. We've also received Bryan Burdo's new Mazama Sport Climbing book! Check it out here!
- For mountain bikers, check out the new trails at Sun Mountain. Climb It Lower and Upper, Gobbler's Teaser, Pete's Dragon, Wild Turkey, and Woodpecker are riding great! Note that Dirty Paws at Virginia Ridge will be logged this summer and will be inaccessible.
We've got an excellent selection of everything you'd need for your outdoor adventure AND for looking great out on the town! Please stop by and support your local shop - we'd love to hear about your adventures!
And, as usual, feel free to call with questions about conditions - things are changing quickly this time of year! We're open 8:30-5:30 daily.
Leave a comment