Silverstar Gate on Highway 20 11-23-16
This is an exciting time of year when everyone is anticipating winter. Early November offered our favorite ski conditions when you can drive to WA Pass and skin up the Blue Lake Trail. But now the pass is closed and we are in limbo. We all know there is snow up high, but how to you get there. Here is some information that may be helpful this weekend.
- Highway 20 is closed with the gate at Silverstar Creek which is approximately 7 miles west of Mazama.
- At 9am on 11-23-16 Highway 20 had approximately 4 inches of snow covering the road. There was just enough snow for a fish scale ski or snowmobile. Above Cutthroat, the road is well covered in snow.
- At Washington Pass, the base depth is approximately 36" and reports indicate approximately 50" base depth at the top of Liberty Bowl. Snow conditions above 6000' are excellent especially on north aspects. There is a crust buried low that should be inspected for avalanche danger after a new snow load.
- We have a winter storm warning forecasted for Thanksgiving day with 6 inches predicted for Mazama and up to 2 feet for WA Pass. Assuming we get something close to that forecast, the highway should be covered enough for snowmobiles and the skiing should be fantastic.
- Methow Trails has indicated that with 6" or more in Mazama, they are prepared to groom some of the nordic trails for the weekend. Check for http://www.methowtrails.org/winter-trails/grooming/ more information.
- Harts Pass Rd is still open and can be driven past Dead Horse Point but that may change after this next storm. Snowmobiles have been riding at Harts Pass for the past several weeks with over 3 feet of snow at the Pass.
We at the Goat's Beard have everything a backcountry skier could need. We have the latest skis from DPS and Voile including the new SuperCharger which won Editor's Choice from Backcountry Magazine this year. We have just about every Tech AT binding available from Dynafit, G3, and the new Fritschi Vipec 12 Black. We have the new Procline boots from Arcteryx in addition to boots from Scarpa and Dynafit. We also have a great selection of skins, poles, shovels, probes and avalanche airbag packs.
We match internet prices and offer 15% discounts when buying 3 or more items in a package. We also mount bindings for free when you purchase your skis or bindings from us. We also mold boots for free when you purchase from the Goat's Beard.
We hope you will consider buying your backcountry gear from us to support your local shop.
Feel free to call or email with questions
Leave a comment