The backcountry skiing is fantastic and more snow is on the way for the valley floor Nordic skiing! Here are the details - visit www.goatsbeardmountainsupplies.com for more info or call us at 509-996-2515
Backcountry Skiing -
- The North Cascades around WA Pass have a 50+ inch base with fantastic surface conditions. The temperatures have been cold which has helped preserve the quality. Stability has been good and local skiers have been getting after some great lines. Forecast is calling for warming temps and for more than a foot of snow by Tuesday December 20. Be sure to check the NWAC site for avalanche danger information.
- Hwy 20 is still being plowed to Silverstar Gate 7 miles west of Mazama and the road is smooth and fast. For those without snowmobiles, you can skin up the highway to Cutthroat Lake area or, better yet, contact North Cascades Mountain Guides for a tour!
- We have a great selection of AT retail and rental gear from Voile and DPS skis to bindings from Dynafit, G3, and Fritschi, and boots from Scarpa, Arcteryx, and Dynafit! We also mount bindings, mold boots, and fill BCA canisters.
Nordic Skiing -
- Methow Trails has been grooming at all trailheads excluding the Winthrop Town Trailhead. Conditions are best in the open meadows and at Cub Creek. With a foot of warm snow forecasted this week, conditions should be improving valley wide! Check the Methow Trails site for updated information at www.methowtrails.org.
- Classic skiers can also go to Klipchuck 3 miles west of Mazama off Highway 20 for a semi-groomed loop or ski west on Highway 20 from the Silverstar Gate.
- Ice conditions are almost as good as it gets in the Methow Valley for the moment. The Standard is fat and was climbed above pitch 3 for a possible 1st ascent Saturday December 17. The Goat's Beard is almost in - see image - but with temps warming, it could be short lived.
Other winter activities
- Skating is open at the Winthrop Rink
- Harts Pass road is open to snowmobiles
- Fat bikes will find great trails at Pearrygin Lake State Park as well as in Big Valley and Gun Ranch.
As always, we encourage you to support your local businesses. We have an excellent selection of clothing and equipment for all your winter activities. When you support us, we can help you enjoy the Methow Valley and the North Cascades!
Leave a comment